Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

YA Superlatives 2014 - Elements of Fiction


Most Envy-Inducing Plot
Illusive by Emily Lloyd-Jones

I have this weird thing for good-at-heart criminals, like the characters in Leverage, White Collar, and this book! Plus the characters in this book have sweet powers too. What's not to love... and envy?
 
Most Formidable World
 The Jewel by Amy Ewing

Women hold the majority of the power in Ewing's debut - which is both really interesting and really terrifying. Not that there are women in power - I'm all for that - it's that the women in this book do some really despicable things to one another. It's mind boggling. 
 
Most Wanderlust-Inducing
Wish You Were Italian by Kristin Rae

Rae's novel about a girl playing hooky in Italy will make you swoon and long for an Italian adventure. 
  Loveliest Prose
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

It's been months and months since I read this book, but I can't stop thinking about it. One of the biggest reasons? The writing. Gorgeous. So, so gorgeous.
 
Most Dynamic Main Character
Learning Not to Drown by Anna Shinoda

I loved how much this MC grew throughout the course of the novel. She's dealing with some really intense demons and, by the end, she has a much better handle on who she is and where she wants to go in life. She stands up to her super destructive family and puts herself first. She is so worth rooting for!

Most Jaw-Dropping Conclusion
 
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Oh.em.gee. I can't even talk about this one for fear of spoilers. Just read it!

Best Performance in a Supporting Role
Liv, Forever by Amy Talkington

I love sassy friends, like this MCs partner-in-crime.
 
 Best Use of Theme 
 I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

Nelson is such a talent. Definitely read this book, but also go back and read The Sky is Everywhere - which is one of my personal favorites!


Class of 2014_Button2
Head here add your name and your Elements of Fiction post link to the sign up so we can hop around and check out everyone's selections. Don’t forget — there will be a new link sign-up each day!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with We Were Liars. The ending blew me away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read The Jewel! I'm even more curious about it now.

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!