Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Throwback Thursday Review: Will in Scarlet by Matthew Cody



Throwback Thursday is a upcycled weekly meme hosted by Sabrina at I Heart YA Fiction. To participate, read an older release or a book that has been on your shelf for awhile. Post your review, then link back to I Heart YA Fiction using the Mr. Linky! (Or repost an old review - there's no reason those books from a couple years ago shouldn't get some love!)
____________________________________________________________
 









Title: Will in Scarlet
Author: Matthew Cody
Publisher: Random House BFYR
Pub. Date: 10.8.2013
Genre: Middle Grade
Rec. Age Level: 10+

Will Scarlet, heir to Shackley House, has led a charmed life, despite the fact that his father has been absent for years, fighting in the Crusades at the side of King Richard the Lionheart. Will spends his days getting into small bits of childish trouble and generally ignorant of the world around him, but, at the age of thirteen, the political landscape in England is growing tense and even Will can no longer ignore the dark changes in power. King Richard’s brother and his corrupt lackeys have overrun England and rule with a violent fist, exploiting the masses and using fear to accomplish their selfish goals. When Shackley House is pulled into the turbulence and his uncle is murdered, Will begins to realize just how sheltered and naïve he’s been. Forced to flee his childhood home, Will nearly dies, but is (reluctantly) saved by a group of ragtag bandits who call themselves the Merry Men. As Will embarks on his own crusade for revenge against the powerful men that have wronged his family, he inadvertently sets into motion the rise of the dashing hero known as Robin Hood.


For some reason, I had the impression that this book was a complete retelling of the Robin Hood story and it would, therefore, focus on Robin Hood. It’s actually a Robin Hood origin story, so there isn’t an actual Robin Hood character until the end of the novel… which is a relatively important detail to have overlooked because I kept wondering where Robin Hood was. Still, I really enjoyed this novel, especially once I figured out the origin story bit!

When we first meet Will Scarlet, he’s naïve, immature, and wholly ill-prepared for the real world. But the end of the novel, he’s a strong young man with a strong sense of morality and ethics, despite the fact that he’s joined a group of bandits. Such is the magic of the Robin Hood story, readers of all ages come to realize that good and bad aren’t always obvious… that it often takes an underdog to incite necessary change.

Many of the characters within Will in Scarlet, including Will, are pretending to be something they aren’t, but, by the novel’s end, they’ve all proudly accepted who they are … and who they are meant to be. One of my favorite characters was Much, a member of the Merry Men, who is actually a girl disguised by necessity as a boy. Though disguising herself as a boy allows Much more mobility and keeps her safe, in the end, it’s being true to herself (and, more literally, dressing as a girl) that helps saves the day!

Lots of action, plenty of secrets, hidden identities, and a smattering of humor make Matthew Cody’s Will in Scarlet is great middle grade read.

11 comments:

  1. This sounds kind of cute and funky! I love Robin Hood...mostly the Disney fox version. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cait! It was really cute. It's been a long time since I thought much about Robin Hood, so it was nice (re)meeting all the characters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad the 'missing' Robin Hood didn't spoil your reading experience! This sounds like great fun! Thanks for participating in TBT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's pretty obvious it's an origin story, but I'm an airhead. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great read! I love Disney adaptions, and this definitely sounds like it would be right up my alley! So glad it was sufficient for you Sara...the action, secrets, hidden identities, and humor definitely seem like they'd combine to make one heck of a novel! Definitely going to have to check this one out at one point!


    Thanks for sharing, and, as always, brilliant review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You also read a lot of books, so there's that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you do end up reading it, Zoe! It's such a quick read too, which is nice. You could totally use it for a palate cleanser between intense or long books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah! I'm in need of a filter book (I'm almost done with my current stack of books, so I think I'll read this in between when I finish that stack and when I pick up my next stack from the library!) Thanks for telling me Sara! I'll definitely let you know what I think of it when I'm done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please do, Zoe! Can't wait to see what you think of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like I didn't understand the grandmother because she was horrible, nevermind where she was from! She wasn't ever redeemed either... Gah, I get upset just thinking about her terribleness!

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!