Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Words/Phrases That Will Make Me Pick Up or Buy a Book


This week's topic focuses on words or phrases that compel me to pick up a book, regardless of whether I know anything else about it!

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the fabulous blog The Broke and the Bookish!
_____________________________

1. Assassins

I'm not sure why I have such an obsession with assassins, but I have ever since reading David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean in junior high. Now, if I see any mention of assassins on a book, it will move to the top of my reading list, no matter what I'm supposed to read next!

2. Thieves

Along the same lines, I love books about thieves. I wish I knew why I loved them so much... maybe the danger. Not sure, but seeing this word in reference to a specific book makes it a must-read.

3. Spies

I think my love of spies is partially due to the fact that two of my favorite television shows are Alias and Nikita. Plus, spies often seem to lead complicated double lives and fall in love with people they shouldn't, two things I love to read about!

4. Historic Europe

I love books set in Europe, especially historical novels! For some reason, I took a lot of European History classes in school, rather than US History, and have been interested in Europe ever since.

5. Autism

My cousin is autistic, which I think is one of the main reasons I've found myself so interested in books featuring characters with forms of Autism. I love these books not only spread awareness, they give a voice to characters (and, therefore, people) that might otherwise not have one.

6. Retellings

I adore retellings of all types. Fairytale retellings are always fun, but I'm really starting to love the retellings of classics that keep popping up!

7. Zombies

I never thought I would, but I love zombie books! There are so many different takes on zombies, even just within the YA genre, and I want to read them all.

8. Prophecies

Books featuring a prophecy have always been interesting to me. I love that, although something has been foretold to happen, there is room for decisions and personal will along the way. I like to see how these two forces interact.

9. Dual POV

I've read quite a few novels that have dual POV and have enjoyed many of them, plus I like having multiple narrators. Sometimes, I simply won't like one, so there is another to favor, other times, having two gives depth to both, making them both more compelling characters.

10. Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic

I'm definitely still a fan of this sub-genre... in fact, I'm not really sure I ever won't be!

12 comments:

  1. Okay, so all of these are my favourite, especially thieves, spies, assassins, retellings, zombies, and prophecies. I haven't seen the last one on any lists today, and I wish I'd thought of it because I really really love books that have prophecies in them, especially when characters take them to mean one thing, and then it turns out to be something totally different. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Janita! You should check out Foretold edited by Carrie Ryan! If you like prophecies and short stories, it's a great read: http://thehidingspot.blogspot.com/2013/04/review-foretold-14-stories-of-prophecy.html

      Delete
  2. Spies and (fairy tale) retellings made my list too! :) My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.com/2013/04/29/topicsword/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read Ally Carter's series? My favorite spy and thieves stories! I thought I was getting burned out on the dystopian, but I recently read a bunch of contemporary fiction books in a row and found myself missing a gritty sci-fi or paranormal book. Currently my favorite retellings are Cinder and Scarlet. Have a great week. Here is my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-1uw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own all of Ally Carter's books! I've found I do the same thing - read a bunch of books in one sub-genre & then miss one that I thought I was burnt out on. I read Cinder when it came out, but I really need to reread it and read Scarlet. :)

      Delete
  4. ZOMBIES in HISTORIC EUROPE(:
    Check out mine: http://www.nobentspines.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, why didn't I think of that! Quick, someone write that! :)

      Delete
  5. Assassins! Thieves! Spies! I want them all. Also, duals POVs are fantastic. From What I Remember... has five POVs and it's my favorite book. So there.

    Great list! =D

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that one, Sana! I highly recommend Hillary Frank's THE VIEW FROM THE TOP. That's a fantastic multiple POV book!

      Delete
  6. I especially agree with spies and thieves! Maybe I should consider a career in the crime business :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder what my love of these two types of characters says about me... haha

      Delete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!